Saturday, August 27, 2016

August Update: A brief look backwards

It felt surreal when I realized that I've been in Mali for five months. It's extra disconcerting since there are moments when I simultaneously feel that it's been both much longer and much shorter than that. In that five months, I've outlasted three bosses (one permanent one whose tour was cut short; on permanent one who finished his two year tour and departed for another post; and one temporary boss), and my fourth boss will be departing next week. In mid-September my fifth boss will arrive and all signs point to his staying for the remainder of my time here. Whew! As far as I can tell from the comments and advice of various mentors, this this has been an unusual beginning to a Foreign Service career, though not unusual in general of one's experiences in the Foreign Service as a whole.

During the last five months I've had the opportunity to learn quite a lot about myself: how I deal with work stress in general (though not how to cope with it healthily and well), difficult bosses, the realities of moving to and living and working in a foreign country, and other more nuanced challenges.

There are many things I'd planned to do back when language training in DC was my whole life and I was envisioning my time in Mali, that haven't come to fruition (yet). I haven't broken out of "the bubble," the solid wall of American community that is available to stay within. Sure I've met a few non-Embassy folks; however, I have not yet found Malian friends or a way or place to meet them. I haven't even really peeked beyond the bubble to find an expat community yet.

On the other hand, I do feel good about the community I've found and of which I'm now a part. I've contributed to it, and gotten to know people, and hosted a few get-togethers. A small start to my larger goal.

I'll end there because it's time to relax my brain: to not think of work, or difficulties, or reflection, but just to relax. I do this by reading fun fiction, or watching tv, or organizing some part of my apartment. I do it by napping in my hammock or cooking. And I do it because I've learned how absolutely critically important it is to my mental, physical, and emotional health.

The last five months has been a steep learning curve. I wonder what's coming up next!

2 comments:

  1. what ever is coming next, I'm sure you will embrace it and motor on enthusiastically just as you have been doing for ... well, for as long as I've known you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy ... ... good grief ... ... (but I do love the acronym - will probably use it myself). Love and a hug from afar.

    ReplyDelete